Wait My Youth

Wait My Youth (Available on Netflix) 
Content Warning: Language
My Rating: B-

Character Glossary:
Can Can: Main Character
Lan Tianye: Bad boy/ Love Interest
Lin Jiaze: Love Interest/ Top of the class
Xu Meili: Can Can's best friend
Tao Yating: Can Can's cousin
Tang Xingyi: Lan Tianye's college roomate

Wait My Youth is about the journey of a group of friends as they navigate highschool, college, and adulthood. It is about love in unexpected places and about the true power and meaning of friendship. Can Can has been in love with Lin Jiaze for as long as she can remember. And this year she has decided to do something about it. In doing so her life is entwined with Lin Jiaze's best friend, Lan Tianye. As the two grow closer she starts to think that maybe change is not a bad thing. 

SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

OVERALL PLOT: Please don't hate me--I did not watch this series in its entirety. I didn't watch the last 3 or 4 episodes (technically I watched the very last one) because I just couldn't stand the amount of drama. Yes I know this is a Chinese drama but there is such thing as too much of that crap. But excluding that I will say that this show was really great at what it does. It shows friendship and the pains that come with growing up. Life changes and your feelings change. One of the things I liked the most is that the main girl learned to accept that she could change. She let herself grow into this amazing person (more amazing then she was before anyway) and I did appreciate the development of the story. It reminded me a lot of A Love so Beautiful actually. Main girl has liked this guy for forever and the story takes place in highschool, college, and adulthood. This show differed, however, because the main girl did not end up with her long time crush. She found someone who complimented her better and for this show I am glad that happened. It taught the valuable lesson that you can change and it is alright if you do because there are great things in store for you. I might go back and watch those episodes I missed but for now I'm happy with what I watched. And I think you should give it a shot too. It's a cute story.

MAIN ROMANCE: This was actually so funny to me at first. The actress who plays the main girl is also Shancai's best friend in Meteor Garden and the the actor who plays the main guy is Lan Tianye from Accidentally in Love. I wanted to watch it originally because of that. And I thought that their chemistry was pretty good. It felt realistic and although there was more drama then I usually like (hence the skipping over) I liked their cute moments. I was really grateful when they got together because I did not like the guy she originally had a crush on. But, overall I loved their relationship especially the realism of it.

CAN CAN: I liked her a lot despite her more naive nature. She was just a really good person and such a dynamic character on screen. I feel like I have said it a thousand times already but her development is one of my favorite parts of the show. She goes from this well teenager who thinks about things relatively simply and emotionally to someone who sees the world a different way. (Like most people do when they grow up) She found herself and learned that everything isn't as black and white as she believed. She also learned that sometimes things just don't work out no matter how hard you try. That's okay--you will still find your place in the world.

LAN TIANYE: As a love interest and just as a character in general I liked him a lot. Despite his more reserved demeanor he really cared about his friends--and eventually his girlfriend--a lot. Although he doesn't always outwardly show it at first we slowly get to see him open up. I appreciated his character not being overly cold or overly arrogant. Not that, that is a bad thing but in the case of this show it wouldn't have fit as well. It was also great to see his growth in just his interests. He pursued a musical degree and even came over to the United States to go to college. It was nice to see him actively pursuing that.

LIN JIAZEl: Confession Moment: I really did not like him until the VERY end. He was the first crush Can Can had and it bothered me that he was so upset when she didn't end up with him. He was possessive of her without even telling her that he liked her. Which makes literally NO SENSE. And his unfounded confidence about her bothered me even more. When Lan Tianye confronted him and they had there whole we both like her and who is going to win conversation (which we all love)--Lin Jiazei was just like "She'll always like me. I'm not worried." (I'm paraphrasing) and that really did make me angry. I do admit by the end though he accepted his place in the friendzone and then he was just a nice guy.

XU MEILI: To be entirely honest with you I'm not really sure if I liked her or not (as a friend.) I felt like she cared a lot more about what she considered good and right versus what actually works for other people. And she created a lot of unnecessary drama in her own and in others lives. Once she made a judgement about someone it took a lot of effort to change it. Despite the fact that I did not like her all that much in certain parts of the show she was a funny character. And I enjoyed some of her lines and humor.

TAO YATING: I was really happy with how her character developed. Her story was definitely one of my favorite parts of the whole show. When we first meet her she is portrayed as the typical smart, stuck up girl in Can Can's high school. But her character did not continue on that path. This wasn't even a "she grew out of it" thing but a we legitimately did not understand her character. Can Can saw her a certain way and I--as the viewer--agreed with her. But then we started to understand more and I grew to love her a lot. She was sometimes the only logical one and she gave the best advice. I really loved when she stepped in.

TANG XINGYI: He was a freaking riot. We get introduced to him once the characters get into college, he is Lan Tianye's roommate. He ended up with Xu Meili and I appreciate his view on their romance. They met online and once he discovered she wasn't who she said she was he was understandably angry about it. But he was smart enough that he sorted out his feelings without a whole lot of drama. I appreciated him not creating a whole ton of drama like everyone else.


FAVORITE QUOTE:
"In the past years, life was filled with many moments. The happy moments. The heart-touching moments. The moment of togetherness. These moments were always there. And there are the crying moments. The struggling moments. The moments of separation. These moments didn't go any faster. My dear, no matter the moment you are in, when you look back at it, it has come to pass. So please be brave. Take a leap forward. Perhaps, what really fascinated you is not the youth itself, but everything that has appeared in that short time, and the glittering memory that will remain in our hearts forever."

SHIP VIDEO: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6eLE10LA0

Comments

Popular Posts