I Hear You

 I Hear You (Available on Netflix) 

Content Warning: Language and Innuendo

Rating: D 

Character Glossary: 


Bei Erduo: Up and coming Voice Actress

Ye Shuwei: Famous Violin Maker 

I Hear You is a drama about two people who are forced to enter into a fake relationship in order to star in this couples television show. But as they have to go farther and farther to convince the public their relationship is real, their relationship becomes more so. 

I figured I'd better write this review while this show is still somewhat fresh in my mind (I'm in the middle of a different drama--Tempted if you're wondering--so I thought I should just get it done now). I decided to watch this drama because after how dark Voice was I figured something light and cheesy would be the best balance. But while this show was that it was also incredibly stupid. It had a lot of potential but very little redeeming value. The main romance was subpar at best and the only thing I was pleasantly surprised at was the secondary romance. (It teaches a super good lesson.) Overall I thought this drama was a waste of my time but there is no judgement if you choose to take the time to watch it. It might be better for you. 

SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

OVERALL STORY: Since this show was all romance there is not much to talk about in this section that wouldn't be better in the sections below. But I'll give it a shot. This plot developed slowly and incredibly unrealistically. I was constantly frustrated by the lack of storytelling and the absence OF AN ACTUAL PLOT. There is no subplot outside of this story besides the ones involving the main characters own career pursuits. Which would be fine if the actual building up of the plot was well done but it was like someone tried to take the leftovers from 2 weeks ago to make a decent meal. (With perishable food items) Yeah it was not possible for this show to pull it together. The plot was a letdown but I will note that it was...okay enough that I didn't feel like putting it down early on. That is due to my curiosity about the secondary couple though. (Confession Time: I technically didn't finish this show because I skipped the last half hour of the last episode but believe me I had no desire to watch that. And I did not miss out on much anyways) 

MAIN ROMANCE: The main romance was a big reason why this show sucked so much. Probably because their romance was the main focus of the show. The hard part is that I really wanted to like them but they just made it impossible. They would have these cute scenes but they felt awkward and had very little chemistry. I also really did not like Bei Erduo's side of things because her developing feelings for him seem incredibly unrealistic. Take this for example: In the show the main characters are forced to live together (*dramatic gasp*) but after a couple of weeks the show ends so the girl moves out. Then we get this whole sad montage about the main guy looking around his house and being reminded of her. And then we flash to her and she was not even thinking about him! She was thinking about how to make more money. (Which I totally get but since this is a romantic drama I think she should be thinking about him at least a little bit.) But then it gets worse: We don't really start to see her have feelings for him until she finds out he has a code name "Allen" who is one of her idols. Then suddenly she can't stop thinking about him. Forgive me but that does not make my hopeless romantic heart flutter. I could rant about them forever so I'll just leave it with this: They tried really hard to make this relationship work but the chemistry wasn't there. The ending that I skimmed through was disappointing as well which made the whole show a big disappointment.  (Side note: There is also two random love triangles in here but they are so pointless that I am just going to note them here and not talk about them.) 

SECONDARY ROMANCE: Although I regret taking time to watch this show one if its saving graces was this secondary couple. I like the message that is taught through them because not enough dramas use this. Here is some background: Lizi (I think her name is) is Bei Erduo's best friend and she has had a crush on her boss whose name I forget (Yu...something?) since forever. But he is kind of a womanizer and he continually looks over her. Listen, I love this trope don't get me wrong but in the case of these two it was incredibly unhealthy on Lizi's side. He would disregard her and she was constantly belitting herself and feeling unloved and unimportant. Enter probably my favorite character of the show: Mars. He is this foreigner that comes over to do a violin competition (and I guess he is Shuwei's best friend?? I'm still confused about that.) and Lizi is helping him around the city as well as doing his violin making show or whatever that is. AND I SWEAR HE IS THE SWEETEST PERSON EVER. Lizi was constantly disregarded and her feelings looked over in her "relationship" with What's His Face but Mars put her first. He did not hang around other woman or do anything that would make her feel unimportant. They ended up getting married and it was super cute. (It was also super fast but that is explained and it makes sense.) The lesson here: You deserve someone who cares about you and how you feel. And you have every right to walk away from something that makes you feel like crap. You are not required to wait on hand and knee for any scrap a person throws at you--YOU are amazing and deserve the world. I was just really grateful that it happened with this show. It was a surprise and I was really grateful for their relationship. 

BEI ERUDO: I really don't have much to say about her but I guess I tolerated her. She could be funny at times but overall she was kind of a bland character. I did like her career pursuit and how the show developed it. But she as a character was just eh... I have no love or hate for her. She just....is there I guess.

YE SHUWEI: I don't have much to say about him either because honestly the two main characters just don't have that much going on with them so there is little for me to talk about. I cannot dissect a stale sandwich. Anyways he was...fine but his character could not decide if it wanted to be "cool edgy guy who never smiles" or "Oblivious guy who smiles occasionally." Listen my readers if you want an edgy bad boy this is not the place I recommend getting it. His character is just kind of bland like Bei Erduo's. He is not bad or good, he just exists. But he does kind of annoy me because he is super oblivious like I thought he'd have some good common sense. (Life lesson: don't invite women to stay in your house while the girl you like is also living there. Just tell the woman to get a hotel next time you idiot.) 

Instead of a quote you get this lovely picture that I made while trying to watch this show: 



SHIP VIDEO: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMabUmv9-PA



Comments

Popular Posts