One Spring Night

 One Spring Night (Available on Netflix) 

Content Warning: Language, Sex scene (implied not shown), Innuendo, Drinking, Rape is mentioned

Rating: D 

Character Glossary:

Lee Jeong In: Librarian/ Main Girl


Yoo Ji Ho: Main Guy/ Pharmacist 

Kwon Gi Seok: Lee Jeong In's current boyfriend

Lee Seo In and Nam Si Hoon: Married couple. Seo In is Jeong In's sister/news host and Si Hoon is a dentist

One Spring Night is about Lee Jeong In who meets single father Yoo Ji Ho and begins to question everything about her life. As they navigate their different lives and those around them they both have to discover how to be happy in their own lives. 

I don't want to say this was a waste of time because I am lowkey glad I watched it but it was pretty much a waste of time. It wasn't even one of those shows that I would bring up as a show that should be watched at least once. So I'm going to preamble my spoiler free review by saying I don't recommend it personally but if it sounds interesting despite what I've said maybe give it a shot. That being said this show was a huge disappointment for me. It started off so strong and then it just got worse and worse with every subsequent episode. The majority of the main characters were super annoying and the main girl came off as way too wishy washy. Her character could not seem to decide what the heck she wanted or what kind of person she was. And I don't know if restraining orders are just not as big in Korea or what but I definitely think people needed to use that resource in this show. If this took place in the US someone would have gotten a restraining order because the things people did were seriously insane. All of that being said the main romance was good and there was a lot of side characters that were interesting too. 

SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

OVERALL STORY: Like I mentioned a bit above the story fell flat for me. While it started off promising--a more adult romance and serious character growth--it was a let down from what it could have been. (If you want a good, adult romance then watch When the Camellia Blooms) It begins with Jeong In who has been dating Gi Seok for about 4 years but is feeling unsatisfied with their relationship. In comes in Ji Ho who is a single father and a peer of Gi Seok's. The two become friends but then things between them start getting more serious. I don't want to get too into this in this section but she eventually breaks it off with Gi Seok and spends more time with Ji Ho. And that is when the crazy begins. First of all this whole process takes a good half of the show to get through which I felt was annoying. I didn't feel like, for me, the show conveyed any legitimate reason why Jeong In was putting off breaking up with Gi Seok for that long. But I digress. Anyways so Gi Seok becomes a total psycho (which I will go into detail in his section below) and we really start getting more into the romance of things. One of the things I did like though was the side stories. You get different scenes with Jeong In's sisters and their lives. I found them super interesting and it definitely was part of the reason I gave this show a "D" instead of an "F." But the overall plot was slow and, in the end, unsatisfying. 

MAIN ROMANCE: I liked them together but there were times where I wondered if they would really last as a married couple. One of the times was towards the end when Ji Ho is going through a tough time where he worries that Jeong In will leave him just like his ex and so he asks her if she's going to leave him too. And she flips out. I understand being hurt by the implication of not trusting her but come on, seriously? I would have been surprised if he hadn't been worried about it since (from what we understand) the woman he used to be with really did a number on him. It wasn't a long lasting fight or anything but I did think that was a ridiculous reason for them to have that big of a fight. (Also because of it she hinted to her PSYCHO EX that she might consider getting back together with him--can't she just talk to Ji Ho like a mature adult instead of running back to her flipping ex???) But I'm going to jump back to the beginning for a little bit to talk about Jeong In breaking up with Gi Seok. The show treats it as her cheating on him (but I would like to note she never did anything with Ji Ho until she had broken up with Gi Seok.) which I do agree she should have broken up with Gi Seok as soon as she decided to spend time with Ji Ho in a more romantic sense. But she should not have had to spend the rest of the show using that incident as an excuse for letting him be a freaking stalker!!! But I'll talk about this more later. Ji Ho and Jeong In were a good couple albeit a little wishy washy at times. Although I supported the couple and wanted them to get together, I was pretty indifferent about them. 

LEE JEONG IN: She was a strong character--some of the time. Although her character was fun and had good growth I wish the writers would make up their minds about exactly what kind of character she is supposed to be. She would stand up to her ex-boyfriend one moment but continue to let him get away with stalking her the next. There were times she fought and times she let others walk all over her. While I understand she is picking her battles I think she should have stayed consistent in at least the situation with her ex-boyfriend. No one should be able to get away with what he was doing and she should not have had to put up with his crap because she felt guilty for how their relationship ended. But, again, I did like the moments when she did speak up and I liked her relationship with her sisters. I also liked how she did not judge Ji Ho like other people did and was far more willing to be selfish. But she could be way too selfish at times which did make for an interesting character. 

YOO JI HO: Yes! I don't think I've ever seen a drama with a single dad for the main guy and now I really want to see more. I loved how his character incorporated being a father and the struggles that come with that position. And I was surprised by how much people looked down on him for that. I've always thought single parents are very brave and strong for raising their kids on their own but most of the characters in this show did not feel the same way. And I liked that it discussed that about his character and how he was never ashamed for it. I LOVED the way he drew on his son for strength especially when confronted by arrogant jerks (*cough cough* Gi Seok) who think of him a lesser because he has a son. I was seriously so proud when he was like "heck no my son is not my weakness he is my strength." Ah I love father power. The one complaint I do have about his character is that he was way too okay with things at times and I think there were times where he should have said something. 

KWON GI SEOK: Not to be dramatic or anything but I bitterly hate Gi Seok with every fiber of my being. He is an arrogant, jerk, stalker who somehow thinks he knows what is better for everyone else. He refuses to listen when Jeong In breaks up with him, he continued to refer to her as his girlfriend even though she told him over and over that she had broken up with him. (Seriously every time he did that the song "No" By Megan Trainor came into my head because clearly he needs to hear that message.) But does it end there? Of course not, he is an absolute psycho. He continues to tell her how to live her life and showing up at her house. He uses her parents to try to force her into marriage and then he tries to use those around her to convince her to marry him. But the big thing that I think I should note here is that he isn't trying to get Jeong In back because he is in love with her or anything. No no, he eventually admits that it is because he thinks Ji Ho (as a single father) is less of a person than him so he refuses to "lose to him." What kind of crap garbage is that?? It is one thing if he liked Jeong In and was pursuing her because of that but this? That is low and just plain awful. I think Jeong In should have gotten a restraining order against him because what he did was not okay. And I hated how his behavior is swept under the floor just because he realizes he's lost and says, "I'm sorry." He has now taken up residence on "My Most Hated Fictional Characters Ever" List. 

LEE SEO IN/ NAM SI HOON: I just want to talk about them briefly because their side story was so heart wrenching and poignant. Nam Si Hoon abused and raped his wife. As a result Seo In was doing everything she could to get a divorce from him--especially when she finds out she is pregnant. It was a journey for these two because we see how hard of a time she has getting a divorce. We also see just how deeply it affected every member (I don't know about the dad) when they found out what had been happening. I think it is an important lesson that is taught here. You do not have to stay in an awful situation just because of what people might think. Seeing Seo In continue to do what is best for her and her child was one of the best parts of this story. I wish they would do a spin off show of her as a single mother--I would love to see how she progresses. 

QUOTE:

"She'll be the last woman in my life." 

SHIP VIDEO: (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGo-twrrcY



Comments

Popular Posts